I can’t believe 2020 would come to an end in a mere 15 days. The year which turned everything upside down. A tiny virus swept through the lanes of each country and changed the lives, livelihood and perceptions of not one but all. The year was a year of learning as well and there are many things i learnt which I would definitely take forward in the coming year.
- Nature : When the lockdown happened, everyone was forced inside there homes. Being a frontliner, I still went to work, but the roads would be deserted. The traffic was drastically reduced. Their were news of air quality being better due to reduced vehicles, the canals of Venice being cleaner. Yet, we couldn’t enjoy them. Just close to my house is a beach. We used to go there daily for walk, but in lockdown even that was closed. We could no longer go there for a walk. We always take nature for granted. Even today, when I go for morning walk, I feel the pinch of not being able to breathe the fresh air. We humans brought it to ourselves. We have to preserve and protect our nature, and if we want to inhabit mother earth or the day isn’t far when we too would be an extinct race.
- Family : Family and loved ones always come first. We all have been guilty of being in the rat race at some point in our lives, and I too was part of that rat race. The lockdown, the closure of schools, the subsequent rush of covid patients in hospitals, the daily fear of unknown made me realise that its necessary to slow down in life and spend time with loved ones. We never know what is in store for us or for anyone close to us, so make time for the loved ones now, not tomorrow. Never take any relationship, family or friends for granted. Tone down your ego and connect with those whom you haven’t spoken or met in a while, may be because of some petty misunderstandings. In the second half of the year, our little family got lots of opportunities to be together for which I am so thankful to God.
- Self-care : Taking care of yourself physically and mentally is not selfish, it is important. When you don’t create boundaries, and keep doing things which are beyond you, you can’t blame others. Whether it is in family, or at work learn to say No, when you know you can’t do more than what you are doing. Sincere and loyal people are always misused. Don’t let it become the norm, stand against it and stand for them. If you don’t stand for yourself, no one else ever will.
- What has to be, will be – The year was also an year of foiled vacations, lost jobs, deaths, financial losses and so on. Yet, the more we fret about and stress ourselves over things we cannot control, the more paranoid we become. What has to be, will be. Do your best in whatever you do, and trust His wisdom. May be what happened, saved you from a bigger disaster. Trust God and be patient.
- Gratitude– The year taught me to be thankful for the blessed life I have, for my family, my friends and for whatever life has given me.