Two months back, I had a road accident. There was more traffic on the signal and the driver behind me did not anticipate that he would find cars so back. He was fast and by the time he saw the line of vehicles, it was too late and he banged right into my bumper.
I had anticipated with his speed that I am going to be hit, but it was all in fraction of a second and my car bumped into pavement and the car besides me like a small toy. For a few seconds, I was dazed and did not even understand what happened. My neck was sore for many days after that. My car came back from garage less than a month back.
I have started driving again, but now I avoid lanes where speed limit is more. I get terrified when someone tailgates me. If I spot a car driving speedily from my rearview mirror, I get tense. In the nutshell, driving has been stressful for the past month. I have to drive to work so I can’t avoid it. Sooner or later, I will be able to over come this feeling.
Just lets look at the tips for safe driving.
DEFENSIVE DRIVING !!!!
- Be aware of the drivers around you, and be ready to expect the unexpected.
- Assume others can do something crazy! so you should always be ready to avoid that.
- Never use your cellphone for texting.
- Don’t take stressful calls while driving.
- If you cant avoid a call, always use a bluetooth while driving, and be prompt and tell them you will revert once you reach your destination.
- Keep a 2 second distance between your car and the one ahead.
- Make it 3 seconds, in case weather is bad.
- Don’t lose your cool.
- Speed limit is the upper limit allowed. Its not your target.
- Pull over if you feel dizzy, tired, hungry or thirsty. Just takes a few minutes.
- Always wear seat belts, infact seat belt actually saved me that as the impact on car, as assessed by damages was too high!!
- Do not mix driving and drinking.
- Also do not smoke while driving.
- Have your 100% focus on the road.
- Give Indicators when required.
- Keep eye contact at roundabouts, turns etc as the right of way may not be clear to all.
In case accident happens, do not panic, stay cool. Do not fight.
In Dubai, unless someone is injured police does not arrive on scene. They advise you to use Dubai Police app, which is easy and very convenient. Before you start reporting, move your cars to place where you are not obstructing traffic. Keep license and mulkiyat in hand. Once you open the app, go to Report the accident , enter the number of cars involved. Then It prompts you to add mobile no, email id, scan your license, mulkiyat, and pics of accident scene. Within next 12 hrs (usually you get within next 2-3 hours), you get a verification call, where they listen to your story and decide who gets the green slip and who gets the Red. After this you can take your car to garage for repair.
Emergency Nos 999
Hope you find this post useful. Share your safe driving tips!!!